Rapid Reaction Immediately Following Notre Dame’s 59-33 Win Over The Air Force Academy
Posted by Steve Herring on October 8, 2011
(Thanks to @UND_com for the above photo apparently taken outside the stadium today.)
I had this weird feeling in my subconscious late in the third quarter and it got stronger as I started scanning over game stats and Air Force punched in a few late scores in. It finally hit me about 3 minutes before the game ended:
I felt guilty.
Why? Well after a start to the season that saw every weird play, ball bounce, penalty, and call by a referee seemingly go against the Irish it was odd to be sitting on the other side of the fence. For all intents and purposes Air Force went toe-to-toe with Notre Dame for much of the first half and, much like our game against South Florida, had little to show for it on the scoreboard…actually they had much less to show for it. That TD catch by Floyd could easily been called out with little argument from fans or coaches and it must be noted that it occurred on 3rd down and long.
We deserved it though, right? I shouldn’t feel guilty because Jamoris Slaughter FORCED those turnovers all by himself and we deserved a chance to capitalize.
Tommy Rees and the Notre Dame offense were so prolific and efficient that I hardly noticed when ND took a 21+ point lead – it felt like they were going to score 100 points this afternoon. Air Force wasn’t going to keep up, but it could have been a lot more interesting.
Great team win and the offense should certainly have walk a little taller in the locker room after being the ones who bailed the other side out from a rather poor day at the office.
- You want a great laugh? If you were recording the NBC broadcast pull up Andrew Hendrix’s 78 yard “non-TD” run. There is a close-up of him getting up and in the background is the referee making the call at the 0.001 yard line with a huge grin on his face that is absolutely classic. I’ll try to screen-grab later.
- Check the box score- Air Force actually outgained Notre Dame 565-560 and racked up 364 rushing yards…Let’s save the Diaco/Option talk for a further review on Monday.
- I like TJ Jones…but I really like Roby Toma and it was great to see him get in the end zone and play well.
- I’m sure Riddick has walked off the field recently thinking “I’d love to get some touches here fellas.” He was force-fed the ball early and often and responded with a great game, maybe his best ever.
- Hendrix looked great. Does this make it better or worse this offseason?
- Chase Hounshell became the 5th Notre Dame freshman defender over 6’5” to get significant snaps. He looked MASSIVE and I don’t know who looks more physically imposing between Hounshell, Tuitt, Lynch, and Niklas. These four 18 year olds may come together and form the biggest and tallest defensive line in NCAA history.
- Jamoris Slaughter – UNREAL game by him. Two absolutely fantastic turnovers only he can take credit for. Way to be!
- My game score prediction was way off, BUT in my Preview I wrote “Jonas Gray gets 2 TDs and Floyd gets 1.” I’m the MAN!
After the BYE week USC heads into town. If you missed the out-of-town scoreboard, then two teams that took the Trojans to the wire, Minnesota and Arizona, were soundly beaten this week by heavyweights (ahem) Oregon State and Purdue. No, not a different Purdue – the same Purdue that Notre Dame just waxed 7 days ago. Sooooo…..
Let the “We’re gonna lay 50+ on Lame Kiffin and officially swing this rivalry back in our favor!!!” Hype officially begin.
Great Win & Go Irish!
Comment With Facebook, Yahoo!, AOL, Hotmail